Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums
Hi all!So I was about to send an email to a couple of clients to help them prepare for their newborn photo session with a fantastic list of long established tips and tricks that I know will help them get the most out of their session.
And then I thought of you.
The new Mum (or maybe the 2nd or 3rd time round Mum) who has always wanted to do a newborn photo session for your little one but was a little unsure as to how it all works. Well here is the inside scoop. 'Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums' is a post that will relay your fears about having an uncooperative baby and help you to give your newborn the very best first photo session ever!
Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums - Part 1: Feeding
- If you are nursing, please avoid spicy foods or eating / drinking acidic citrus juices and fruits as it can upset your baby’s tummy or make them uncomfortable and unable to sleep peacefully during the session.
- Bottle-fed babies should have extra formula with them so they can top up at the session if needed. Being SO cute is thirsty work so your baby may need more milk than usual!
- Schedule your baby’s feed 2-3 hours before arriving so you can feed baby once more as soon as you arrive. If you have to feed baby before you leave, give them half before you get here and the remaining when you arrive. If you'd prefer to feed your baby in private once here, just let me know!
Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums - Part 2: Sleeping
- Interact with your baby as much as possible before the session and keep him/her awake for 1-2 hours before the session (a bath works great! Just don’t let them fall asleep afterwards!) Don't be tempted to let your baby sleep in the car on the way to the studio, have someone sit next to him/her and play with them so he/she is super tired when you arrive.
- Even if you don’t usually use one, please bring a dummy / pacifier for your session. Baby’s love to suck and a dummy (rather than your finger!) gives them a safe, clean and hygienic way to do this. I understand that some parents don't like to use a dummy in case they get to used to it, but that wont happen in a few short hours - and it will only be used if necessary for a few minutes at a time.
- A tired baby with a full tummy results in a very sleepy baby and cooperative model!
Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums - Part 3: Clothing
- Baby should arrive dressed in loose comfotable cothing to prevent any marks on his / her delicate skin. Marks can take an hour or so to disappear so the looser, the better. Onesies are perfect!
- If possible, please use lotion all over your baby’s skin to keep it looking nice and smooth and avoid any dry / flaky patches.
- The studio will be very warm. Babies are very sensitive and as we will mostly be photographing them nude, it’s best to keep them comfortable. Parents should come dressed in layers so that you can easily remove clothing if you get too hot!
Newborn Photo Session Tips for Mums - Part 4: Siblings
- Newborn sessions last around 2-3 hours. Siblings will be photographed first with their baby brother or sister and then should be taken out of the studio – perhaps off for a nice treat with Dad – while Mum stays and relaxes. Feel free to bring a book, iPad / tablet or whatever you need to keep yourself busy while I shoot. Don’t worry, I’ll ask for your help if I need it but otherwise, relax!
I hope these Newborn photo session tips and tricks are helpful! Check out next weeks post on a few more that I use with all my babies and find out how this week's newborn photo sessions went! There may even be a sneak peek!